Steeped in history

The George Inn was originally a building of the 16th century or earlier on the south side of St. Mary Street, and had a bowling green and a fives wall. It had closed by 1781 and was rebuilt in 1843 as a private house, which retains a yard of decorated cobbling. The current George Hotel had opened by 1804; in 1899 and 1906 it had assembly rooms where theatrical entertainments were given.